Continuous advances in the Internet of Things (IoT) have forced data transmission technologies to adapt to this new era. Many devices now use short-range networks which we can then control, for example, from a mobile phone.
This is precisely the most widespread use of Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE), a type of wireless, low-consumption connection technology, designed especially for IoT devices. It emerged a few years ago, and it is version 4.0 of the Bluetooth we have been using for data exchange for years.
Many Omnitec Systems products use this Bluetooth Low Energy technology. If you want to know what it is and how it works, we will tell you here in this post!
What is BLE?
Known as Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE), it is a specific type of low-consumption Bluetooth technology.
Bluetooth Low Energy was created to be able to transmit data between two devices for long periods of time, thus maximising battery savings.
It became popular back in 2010 in its most widespread version, BLE 4.0, which makes short and medium range wireless connections possible.
Thus, a BLE device almost always works in sleep mode, and is activated only when making connections, which last barely milliseconds.
Advantages of BLE over the classic Bluetooth
As already mentioned, BLE consumes much less energy than the classic Bluetooth: in fact, consumption can be up to 10% lower.
And this is only the first of its many advantages:
- Low energy consumption : This technology is optimised for devices that need to maintain communication or transmit data periodically or infrequently and consume little power, which extends battery life.
- Immediacy : BLE is capable of establishing much faster connections than classic Bluetooth, which is crucial for applications that require fast data transfer.
- Low cost : BLE devices are usually cheaper since their components are less complex.
- Wide compatibility : Bluetooth Low Energy is compatible with a wide range of devices, from mobile phones to tablets and all devices that work with the Internet of Things (IoT).
- Interaction with mobile applications : BLE is ideal for interacting with mobile applications, such as push notifications, location tracking and for connecting to other smart devices.
- Greater reach : Although, initially, the range of BLE was more limited than that of classic Bluetooth, now it is just the opposite: making it even more versatile.
- Greater security : It also includes additional security features, such as encryption, to protect against potential attacks.
Bluetooth Low Energy Applications
Bluetooth Low Energy is ideal when battery life is crucial, such as in the following applications:
- Home automation : for example, smart locks, smart lighting and sensors.
- Health : for example, activity monitors, heart rate monitors and glucometers.
- Industry control and automation.
- Mobile payments.
- Access and identity control systems.
Omnitec products that work with BLE
Of course, at Omnitec we take advantage of the benefits of this connection technology in many of our products:
If you need to increase the security of your hotel or home with any device of this type, don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions you may have. We can also tell you which ones work via Bluetooth Low Energy.
Contact our team. We’ll be happy to help you!